Sunday, July 27, 2008

"Development" Developing

Well, no sooner do I see the movie version of what might be my all-time favorite television show, I learn that another of my faves is progressing toward the big screen.

I'm in the minority here, but I truly believe that Arrested Development was one of the greatest comedies the small screen has even seen.

The show won an Emmy in its debut season ... and was brilliantly written. It also had a superb cast, re-launching the career of Jason Bateman, and introducing the world to Michael Cera (Superbad, Juno) and Will Arnett.

The only problem? No one watched. It lasted 3 seasons, with the second and third campaigns being abbreviated. It's final 4 episodes aired opposite the Super Bowl.

Why did that happen if it was so funny? My theory: It actually required that you watch and listen. The jokes were subtle, there was no laugh track, and it was shot with hand-held cameras. It was a show beter suited to HBO than Fox, just too darn smart for the average TV viewer.

Well, anyways, take a look at this video ... once you get past the vacation and baseball talk, Jason Bateman confirms talks continue toward a movie. Which would make me the happiest boy on earth.



Oh, by the way, as a fantasy baseball player, it makes me drool to think there's a league out there that has Olbermann, Bateman, Tim Goodman and David Cross (another Arresed Development alumnus) as some of its members!

1 comment:

zorknapp said...

I have to comment here and say that Bateman is brilliant on this interview, and while I don't know baseball, some of his shock at hearing of the recent trades is real...