.jpg)
I know most bloggers would probably use this space today to write something nice about their fathers.
I should too. Except I think that might violate the rules of my previous entry on TMI in the blogosphere/twitterscape/facebookland/online nation.
Instead, I want to write about something I noticed while driving around this weekend.
You see, I'm one of those types who think that the general rules of decorum have disappeared on the nation's highways and biways.
During my semi-annual migrations to the East, I've discovered that drivers in Maryland, for instance, have little regard for lane movement or speed limits.
Which is fine, it's something more simple that's bugging me.
And that's the complete and utter failure of 80% of drivers to use their turn signals.
And not just for when they're making turns, even for simple things like shifting lanes.
Now, when you speed and drive recklessly ... I get it ... that's a conscious decision to break the law.
But, not using a turn signal is just plain laziness, right?
I mean, if you drive with your hands at 10 and 2 (or even just 10), using your turn signal requires your left-hand to slide a whole 3-4 inches down the wheel ... and then you have to extend a couple of fingers to flip a lever.
And, most of the time, the car even turns the signal off FOR YOU!
So, I really gave it some thought ... and compiled a list of possible reasons why people may not be using their signals.
1. The above-mentioned laziness? Perhaps Ohioans are heading to Jabba The Hut-dom a lot quicker than we think.
2. Phobias? Perhaps right-handers are scared of using their left hands to signal. And it's just too darn hard to reach across with their natural hand.
3. Accidents? Is there a lost generation of Ohioans who lost their left-hands to wheat threshers as children? If so, I apologize for this post.
4. Distraction? Perhaps the blinking light on the dash, and it's corresponding sounds, are too distracting to drivers who are already on the road, on their phones, sending e-mail, doing their makeup, reading the paper, writing their thesis, and splitting the atom from the cockpit.
5. Electrical problems? Perhaps there has been 5-6 years of shoddy light bulb production in this country ... causing a mass blackout of turn signals!
Perhaps there's another theory I'm overlooking ... in any case, c'mon folks ... how hard is it to signal?
PS: An apology to any and all friends of mine who work in television and read this after looking at the title, and thinking I honestly had something to say about DTV.

No comments:
Post a Comment