Simple, It's taken me 37 years, but I now fully understand that I am a geek.
No one WANTS to be a geek, but some, like me, are now old enough and mature enough to handle the reality of the situation.
In high school, I wasn't really a member of the "cool" crowd ... that what reserved for football players (despite the team's losing ways). But I really wasn't a geek, either. I was somehow part of the "sub-cool" crowd ... people that played sports other than football, and did well in class.
And while, throughout my adult life, I fought the "geek" label, it wasn't until 2007 that I realized that I am what I am.
What did it take to push me over the edge? Music.
While some were excited to see The Police reunion tour (which I attended) or the Van Halen reunion tour (which I wish I attended) ... I went into full geek mode for another tour.
Genesis.
I'll say it again.
Genesis.
And not the Peter Gabriel-fronted band that cool people wanted to see. Nope. The Phil Collins led version which moved from progressive rock to pop hitmakers.
Why did this make me a geek? Well, first of all, not a lot of folks admit they like Genesis.
Not only do I admit that, but also admit they're my favorite band of all time.
Secondly, I didn't go see them once ... I saw them 3 times ... traveling as far as Buffalo to see a band that doesn't change it's setlist.
I also became somewhat active on the band's online site ... and even organized the Cleveland meet-up for fans coming from all around.
Oh yeah, I also bought a couple t-shirts, the first 2 of 3 re-mastered box sets of their CD's, and a huge coffee table book which basically serves as their biography.
But you know what, it felt right. As I met other Genesis fans. I discovered that, they too, felt like geeks. But, we were all able to share our geekdom together. And, had a great time doing it.
Am I geeky about anything else? You bet!
Want proof? Well, the movie I'm most excited about this summer is the X-Files sequel.
I love baseball. But, not just going to games, but arguing about players, competing in a fantasy league, and devouring just about anything having to do with the sport.And, I'll be happy to tell you why "Arrested Development" was the greatest television show of the last 5 years.
So, expect to hear about many of these topics, and a lot more, as I dive into this blog.
3 comments:
Two things.
First, I've always told you you were a geek.
And second, Dad2Amara just said he likes Genesis. Not bad company, eh? :)
Gotta love Genesis Geekdom... ;-)
Glad you could come to terms w/it, Hair Envy and all.
--K.
Hey, speak for yourself. I'm the same age, but not ready to embrace my inner geek yet. Besides, Genesis is cool. Right?
Post a Comment