Saturday, January 31, 2009

Working On A Dream

(Before I get into this post, I've changed my header to reflect my Bruce-heavy mood. Go ahead and play Where's Waldo with me. Think I had good seats?)


I wasn't planning to turn this into a music review blog ... but I can't let a new Bruce Springsteen album come out without a few thoughts ...

If you stick around to the end ... you get a Super Bowl Halftime Show spoiler ... so proceed with caution! :)

"Working On A Dream" hit the store shelves Tuesday, but through some alternative methods I've had it for a couple weeks.

The album reminds me a lot, in some ways, of Tunnel Of Love.

Back then, The Boss was coming off his largest commercial success with a huge rock album known as Born In The USA ... you might have heard of it.

The much-anticipated follow-up wasn't a massive rock album at all.

It was an album filled with very good songs, about love and the heart.

No racing, driving, rock anthems included.

In sort, the album was a little jarring on first listen. But, the more you listened, the more you found the essential Springsteen stuff was in there.

Now, I look back on it as one of Bruce's best albums.

Well, "Working On A Dream" feels similar to me. After many, many listens it keeps getting better. And it follows Magic, and album of mostly angry rock songs.

This time around, Bruce decided to make an album filled with songs that harken back to his 60's pop idols.

And, the central theme of the disc ... time. How you cannot change the past, and also how, at least for a man of 60, time is beginning to run out a bit.

I really think that "Working On A Dream" is inspired by the loss of E Street Band keyboard and accordian player Dan Federici.

Dan was the first member of the band to pass away, after a battle with melanoma.

His loss frames the music and the songs, none more obvious than the album's proper closer "The Last Carnival" ... a sequel of sorts to "Wild Billy's Circus Story."

So, what are the standout tracks?

Well, if you like the big arena rockers, you have "My Lucky Day." If you like modern blues, "Good Eye" is a great tune.

Of course, the bonus track, "The Wrestler" is one of Bruce's best in recent memory.

And, the title track itself I'll always feel a close connection to, since I was in the crowd when Bruce played it for the very first time ever, at the Barack Obama rally in Cleveland.

Is "Working On A Dream" the best Bruce has ever done? No.

But, it's a pretty solid effort, that I feel will only get better with time.

Now ... that Super Bowl Halftime spoiler ...

Ready?

Ya sure?

OK, here goes ... and boy does this make me happy to see!

The irony of words on TwitPic