Monday, June 22, 2009

On The Recall

My post-a-day promise rolls right along ... with politics!

It's not something I write about very often, but this is an issue that I feel pretty strongly about ... so here goes.

I believe the effort to recall Akron Mayor Don Plusquellic is wrong, and should be soundly rejected by voters tomorrow.

Before I go further, a little bit of disclosure. First, I don't live in Akron, so I will not be casting a ballot. Secondly, I've met the Mayor on a few occasions, but I wouldn't consider myself a friend or a crony. Third, I've had a number of interactions with the Mayor's Office ... some good, some bad, some ugly.

Most of my reasons for opposing this effort to recall Plusquellic have already been written by others, but I'm going to state them in my words.

Mainly, I'm against the idea because the arguments and accusations leveled against the Mayor are issues that should be contested and debated during a primary/general election cycle, not a recall.

To me, recalls should be used like those oxygen masks on airplanes ... only when the worst is about to happen.

In the case of politics, that should be when the incumbent is charged criminally ... or responsible for the most heinous acts of disregard for his office.

Now, those opposing Plusquellic are acting within the boundaries of the city charter. So, I can't blame them for them for taking action. The charter makes it too simple to recall an elected official, and no matter the outcome of tomorrow's vote, you can bet it will be changed.

But, just because the recall is legal ... it doesn't mean it's right.

Look, I'll be the first one to say that over the past several years, Plusquellic's manner has grown more brusque and bully-like. Opponents often point to the fact that the Mayor "tells it like it is", even if it offends many.

But, honestly, in this day and age where every politician, athlete, news anchor, and head of industry sanitizes their words to save themselves from the PC police ... isn't it somewhat refreshing to have a leader who says what's on his mind?

I mean, the President just took heat for killing a fly, for God's sake.

I want a leader like Plusquellic. I want a leader who says what he thinks, even if it ruffles a few feathers.

He's earned the right to say some of those things by his performance. Sure, city debt is high. Sure, Akron isn't immune to things like the foreclosure crisis.

But, you'll notice when those lists of "declining cities" are issued ... Cleveland and Canton are always included, but Akron is mysteriously missing.


Under Plusquellic's leadership, Akron has new restaurants, a beautiful ballpark in which to watch baseball, a transformed university campus, new places to live, work and learn and a renewed commitment to the arts.

Have there been missteps? Sure. The Inventor's Hall Of Fame was and is a boondoggle. The aforementioned sewers plan was rushed to the ballot. Relations with safety forces could be better.

However, there have not been enough missteps to remove Plusquellic from office mid-term. If you don't like what he's done ... or what he's said ... run against him in either the primary or the general election.

If you beat Plusquellic then, well, the change you want will have occurred in the way it was intended.

Finally, you may ask why I care? I don't live in Akron. I don't work there. What does it matter to me?

My answer ... I believe Don Plusquellic is not just good for Akron ... he's good for the region. Like it or not, he has clout ... locally, statewide, and even nationally. And folks in the burbs may not like this, but what's good for Akron is good for it's neighbors.

I'd wager the jobs saved by retaining Goodyear and Firestone don't belong to folks who live exclusively within the city limits.

When Akron benefits, we all benefit.

And Don Plusquellic is a good leader, who's fighting for his political life, because of a bad idea.

And while I don't expect this post to sway a single person, I urge everyone who supports the Mayor to not take their votes for granted tomorrow ... if you want Plusquellic to stay in office, get out and vote.

PS: I have one other message, to those Akron City Council members who are considering a run for Mayor should Plusquellic be removed ... you are cowards. You would rather sit quietly under this Mayor then challenge him directly for the job. Anyone who runs for the sole reason that they no longer have to oppose Don Plusquellic should be sure to print their campaign signs in yellow.

2 comments:

Living It, Loving It said...

Welcome back Chris! I have been reading incognoto for the last few days and have not really responded, but I knew you were here.

I agree with you that the accusations should be contested and debated in an election and not a recall. If he has committed criminal acts or that is the belief, then that should be addressed appropriately and with evidence, charges, etc. You made some good arguments about all his done for Akron and that Akron has not been listed among the most declining cities. And the charges, well, they are not enough.
1. Spending extravagantly his travels – so investigate
2. That he has steered the city into major levels of debt – investigation has shown that the city is under the debt levels established by the state
3. He is a jerk and has a temper – from when does stop people from being successful politicians. Moreover, his opinions and his voice have been highly respected in the statehouse, Capital Hills, with fellow mayors, etc.

Agreed, Chris - recall should not be called simply because it can be.

Good to see you back!
- Lana

Chris H. said...

Thanks Lana!

Good to be here!